Save on Career Education through Lorman Education
Our readers are offered a discount on Lorman seminars and courses. Check out their business, management and legal offers at this link to qualify for our discounts. They also offer green business training opportunities. Please visit http://www.lorman.com/training/CaliforniaGreenSolutions for a complete listing of courses. Register online or call Lorman at 866-352-9539.
Local Economies Organize for Local Benefits
San Francisco-based organization helps groups of merchants and local business supporters organize to promote their locally owned businesses.
The principals of BALLE -- Business Alliance for Local Living Economies are visionary. This San Francisco-based organization helps groups of merchants and local business supporters organize to promote their locally owned businesses.
Not all businesses thrive on a local-scale, but many local businesses are vital to the health and well-being our not only our families, but our natural resources. Local business makes sense for basic human support systems. And local values and uniqueness that provides the spice in life are also a locally grown part of life.
A Living Economy ensures that economic power resides locally, sustaining healthy community life and natural life as well as long-term economic viability.
A Living Economy is guided by the following principles:
- Living economy communities produce and exchange locally as many products needed by their citizens as they reasonably can, while reaching out to other communities to trade in those products they cannot reasonably produce at home. These communities value their unique character and encourage cultural exchange and cooperation.
- Living economy public policies support decentralized ownership of businesses and farms, fair wages, taxes, and budget allocations, trade policies benefiting local economies, and stewardship of the natural environment.
- Living economy citizens appreciate the benefits of buying from living economy businesses and, if necessary, are willing to pay a price premium to secure those personal and community benefits.
- Living economy investors value businesses that are community stewards and as such accept a "living return" on their financial investments rather than a maximum return, recognizing the value derived from enjoying a healthy and vibrant community and sustainable global economy.
- Living economy media provide sources of news independent of corporate control, so that citizens can make informed decisions in the best interests of their communities and natural environment.
- Living economy businesses are primarily independent and locally owned, and value the needs and interests of all stakeholders while building long-term profitability.
They strive to:
- Source products from businesses with similar values, with a preference for local procurement
- Provide employees a healthy workplace with meaningful living-wage jobs
- Offer customers personal service and useful safe, quality products
- Work with suppliers to establish a fair exchange
- Cooperate with other businesses in ways that balance their self-interest with their obligation to the community and future generations
- Use their business practices to support an inclusive and healthy community, and to protect our natural environment
- Yield a "living return" to owners and investors
Business Alliance for Local Living Economies
165 11th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Edited by Carolyn Allen, owner/editor of California Green Solutions