Save on Career Education through Lorman Education
Our readers are offered a discount on Lorman seminars and courses. Check out their business, management and legal offers at this link to qualify for our discounts. They also offer green business training opportunities. Please visit http://www.lorman.com/training/CaliforniaGreenSolutions for a complete listing of courses. Register online or call Lorman at 866-352-9539.
Hotels and Meetings See Kimpton as Green Example
Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, based in San Francisco have developed sustainable practices for operations and guests
Green Meetings and Green Hotel Strategies
Chicago hosted a 2007 "Green Power: Green Meetings Strategies and Solutions," conference moderated by Corporate Meetings and Incentives Editor Barbara Scofidio.
Start by Greening Contracts
Kim Boriin, CMP, is greening his hotel contracts. The senior events marketing specialist at Guardian Investor Services LLC, New York, now has a clause saying "we are concerned with sustainable business practices and want to know that you are, too."
Very few best practices and no standards exist for green meetings, Anderson said, but there is "big enthusiasm from the meetings industry. A mind-set shift is happening where hoteliers and destinations are starting to ask about green meetings, and that's a really powerful fact."
California Green Hotel Innovation at Kimpton Hotels
One hotel chain going the extra mile is Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants. Kimpton began a sustainability program eight years ago in California and was the first chain to bring recycling waste bins into the guest rooms.
Kimpton EarthCare supports a sustainable world by using non-intrusive, high quality, eco-friendly products and services at all Kimpton hotels.
Kimpton's vendors are required to be environmentally friendly as well—Kimpton hotels purchase only recycled paper and eco-friendly cleaning products. Partially used Aveda shampoo is donated to local shelters, which are then asked to recycle the little plastic containers when they’re empty.
Kimpton's Earthcare Products and Practices
As part of Kimpton EarthCare, every hotel adopts standard environmentally friendly products and practices with high-impact and benefit to our planet.
Here's just a few of Kimpton EarthCare's efforts:
- Cleaning Supplies: All rooms cleaned with environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Soy Inks: All corporate collateral is printed on recycled paper using soy based ink
- Recycled Paper: Property wide printing on recycled paper
- Organic Beverages: All complimentary lobby coffee is organic, shade grown and/or fair trade
- Towel/Linen Reuse: Guests have the opportunity to do their part to reduce energy and detergents required for daily washings
- Recycling: Back of house recycling programs addressing glass, bottles, paper, cardboard, etc.
- Energy Conservation: Back of house lighting retrofitted and audited to ensure energy efficient bulbs are in place
- Water Conservation: Implementation and auditing of low flow systems for faucets, toilets, and showers
- Best Practices: At any hotel you may find environmental activities such as recycling of coat hangers, elimination of Styrofoam cups, paperless check-ins/outs, organic flowers, and more...
- In-room designer recycling bins: Guests are encouraged to participate in reducing our environmental impact
- Honor bar with organic food and beverage options: Honor bars include organic snacks and beverages
- Donation programs: Instead of being thrown away, unused amenity bottles are donated and used by local charities
- Shop Kimpton Style for eco-friendly products like organic bedding and recycled glassware
Bring a special guest to your meetings: the Planet.
- Living plants are abundant indoors and out.
- Organic, fair-trade coffee awakens the room...and guests
- Agendas are printed on seed-infused paper that can be planted
- Fresh, organic and locally grown ingredients are used in the restaurants
- Eco-quizzes, rock gardens and outdoor exercise are provided for breaks
- Organic wines and beers are served after-meetings
Earthcare standards apply a detailed analysis and assessment in the following areas:
The success of the program lies not only in commitment to the environment, but in their commitment to maintaining quality guest experience. Through creative and clever planning, Kimpton found it is possible to diminish their ecological footprint while making a positive impression on their customers.
- Vendor comparisons
- Product sampling/testing
- Quality analysis - comparison to products in use
- Financial analysis - savings/loss on current costs and expenses
- Environmental benefits
Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants
Kimpton operates hotels across America and internationally, with the following California cities hosting a Kimpton: San Diego, San Francisco, and San Jose
222 Kearny St., Ste. 200
San Francisco, CA 94108
Edited by Carolyn Allen, owner/editor of California Green Solutions