Save on Career Education through Lorman Education
Our readers are offered a discount on Lorman seminars and courses. Check out their business, management and legal offers at this link to qualify for our discounts. They also offer green business training opportunities. Please visit http://www.lorman.com/training/CaliforniaGreenSolutions for a complete listing of courses. Register online or call Lorman at 866-352-9539.
Sustainable Building Guidelines for Residential and Commercial Buildings
Sustainable building is broader than green building. Here's the scoop.
Environmental and Public Health issues that are addressed by "sustainable building" policies include
- Energy approaches to achieve minimum energy efficiency requirements, which demonstrate compliance with Title 24
- Indoor Air Quality strategies to prevent, identify, and resolve indoor air quality (IAQ) problems including: mold, VOCs, asbestos, indoor ozone, radon, and tobacco smoke.
- Materials: product selection criteria including information on recycling various construction materials including: asphalt, carpet, drywall, lumber, and roofing.
- Toxics involved in pest monitoring techniques, pesticides, and nonpesticide alternatives for managing pests in homes and landscapes.
- Water supply and quality including a guide for homeowners, landscaping and plumbing contractors; and California greywater standards.
This helpful website offers PDF downloadable files covering a broad range of sustainable building issues and strategies.
National green building guidelines include performance or prescriptive instructions for designers and builders to use in construction projects. These instructions address materials use, design principles, and construction techniques.
Sustainable Building Guidelines
Edited by Carolyn Allen