Save on Career Education through Lorman Education
Our readers are offered a discount on Lorman seminars and courses. Check out their business, management and legal offers at this link to qualify for our discounts. They also offer green business training opportunities. Please visit http://www.lorman.com/training/CaliforniaGreenSolutions for a complete listing of courses. Register online or call Lorman at 866-352-9539.
Green Implementation: Media Offices
Office building greening is easy. Here's an example for media offices and electronic-heavy locations.
How can media companies green their operations?
Where do you start? Learn by doing!
A recent news story at Greenbiz.com reported how a number of news media companies are greening their operations. From these media company efforts are the following ideas that could be adopted by a wide variety of office and electronics-heavy business locations.
As you will see, energy is a major project area. Lights, computers, and equipment eat up a lot of energy.
Energy Savings in Offices
- Conserve energy with daylighting
- Reduce energy waste by turning off lights and equipment.
- Purchase only Energy-Star rated, high efficiency equipment models
- Use energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs and use lower wattage lights in hallways
- Purchase transportation emissions offsets
- Retrofit the parking garage lighting system with fluorescent lighting
- Install light sensors in hallways.
- Replace traditional bulbs in the master control rooms with LED lights
- Implement automatic shutdown mechanisms for personal computers.
- Invest in renewable sources and buy offsets
Conserve Water & Landscaping
- Underground stormwater retention pond will supply all landscape irrigation
- Plant trees
- Tap into recycled water for irrigation
- Install waterless urinals
- Install low-water appliances, drinking fountains, and aerators on sinks.
- Plant native species to replace grass -- save chemicals and water! And support native wildlife like birds, toads and butterflies!
Reduce & Reuse Recycled Waste in Office Centers
- More than half of all disposables will be sorted and taken to recycling centers
- Replace Styrofoam cups in break rooms
- Print monthly newsletter on recycled paper with a printing process that uses 100 percent wind power. Create demand for recycled content!
- Properly dispose of electronics -- reduce landfill toxins!
- Refurbish and extend the life of equipment.
Green Your Office Buildings
- Paint products will be low in volatile chemicals
- carpets will be made from recycled materials
- Go for LEED certification and commissioning
- Provide shade for windows on the West and East to reduce air conditioning. Overhangs, trees and vines on trellises work great!
- Encourage mass transit use by employees
- Convert corporate vehicles to alternative fuels such as biofuels or natural gas
- Make electric plugins available for hybrid vehicle owners
- Plan ahead for plugging into the grid...
- Buy local products when possible to reduce long-haul transportation.
- Convert heavy-duty trucks and equipment to alternative fuels. Generators can run on biodiesel!
- Use aerodynamic design to reduce fuel use.
- Air the tires on all your employees cars as a regular "treat" that keeps on giving!
High Efficiency Attitude and Vision
The media companies who are listed as making green strides include NewsCorp, Fox Network Groups, Sundance Channel, and The Weather Channel. Thank you for your green thoughtfulness. And congratulations on your bottom line savings!
- Conduct a green audit and give workers sustainability training.
- Pledge to go carbon neutral by 2010
- As a weather-company, we look at the world through the lens of weather, and now we're also looking at it through a lens of green. Maximize your green perspective.
- Offers a rebate to workers who buy hybrids or energy-efficient computers/equipment...or solar systems.
- Learn about the issue while doing it and build some credibility!
Edited by Carolyn Allen, owner/editor of California Green Solutions